Sunday, November 11, 2012

Colorado: Colorado National Monument

After spending our last night in a hotel, we had one more whole day ahead of us to get home. We decided to visit Colorado National Monument.



We looked through the visitor center and bought a few goodies. We talked to a couple of rangers. They asked where we were from. Eventually the conversation got onto the topic of snakes. After a while, I told them that Bryan put transmitters in rattlesnakes in Great Basin NP. To our surprise, they new all about that research Bryan and his crew had been doing. It was pretty cool. One ranger went into the back office and brought out this taxidermied example for us to see of one of their native species. This is a midget faded rattlesnake:



We met a nice gentleman on the back patio with a very gentle Husky Malamute. I was drawn to this dog named "Summit" because of his obviously huge size! I got talking to his owner and he said this breed of dog usually gets to be 90 pounds. Summit was 140! It was like hugging a bear. So, so cute..... I think he could tell I liked him: 



Because we anticipated a long drive home, we decided to go on a 2 mile long walk on a nature trail near the visitor center. Ava had her toy she picked out: Foxy Fox, and Isaac had the one he picked out: a compass.



Ironically, Isaac wore the appropriate shirt for the occasion; with his compass we went to EXPLORE......












I'm going to conclude my Colorado blog with scenes from the Colorado National Monument........



















No comments:

Post a Comment