Last night, Venus passed directly between earth and the sun.............
Here's a great shot of Venus, along with Sunspots AR1493 and AR1496, from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory from about halfway through last night's #VenusTransit event:
.......... Isaac and I walked over to the Great Basin Visitor Center for a rare viewing party. As I peered through the solar viewing glasses & telescope, it was strange knowing that this was the only time Venus would be in between me and the sun, in my lifetime.............
This is Ranger Kelly (AKA Dark Ranger) who takes lead of all the interpretive astronomy events in Great Basin National Park. He was nice enough to take the following photos of Isaac and I
~ thanks Kelly!
It will be fun to show this blog page to Isaac in the future, when he's old enough to understand what the transit of Venus is.......... and I'll tell him that he was more facinated with the cool glasses than the rare solar alignment ;)
LOL :D
LOL :D
Isaac hadn't had a nap yet (it was already 3:30 pm) and expressed his opinion of returning home. So, we didn't end up staying too long. As soon as we got home, he was out like a light. I'm glad we went, even if was a short stay.
Here is the photo I took of the Transit of Venus (approximately 4:15 pm):
Until 2117............................
Gretchen has some cool history of the Transit of Venus posted on this blog if you are interested: http://protectsnakevalley.blogspot.com/2012/06/transit-of-venus-today.html



No comments:
Post a Comment