Monday, May 21, 2018

Smith Creek Canyon

For Mother's Day we decided to spend the afternoon in mother nature. Naturally ;)
Our original plan was a bust because it appeared the high elevations were getting hit with a snow storm. We decided to do a rainy day hike up Smith Creek Canyon instead. It was really pretty to see the snow line of fresh powder on the mountains, approximately 8,000 ft? It had been a while since I'd been up this canyon. I was eager to get my boots back on the trail.



We had our rain jackets and umbrellas. I think I've used them more this spring than the last 3 years combined!




The Native American rock art site wasn't too far off the path, tucked away under a rock shelter.....






This is one of the best pictographs there.....








I saturated these pictures in photo editing a little bit to get the pictographs to pop out more. Luckily the sun came out briefly to help shine light on them.....




Ava wanted me to get a picture of her and Jupiter. I gladly did, and then asked the other two kids to climb on the perch too  :)






We continued up the trail. There were many varieties of flowers to see.
A wonderful bouquet for Mother's Day  :)




Bryan ended up carrying a large pack along with other random things. We laughed when Willow asked him, "Daddy, can you carry my rocks?!" 
(Later Ava turned it into one of her comics):





The landscape was bursting with brighter greens after the rain. A desert refreshed.



The canyon walls were getting more and more narrow....



Evidence of flooding, the stream was the trail. We had to abandon trail for a long while.....




There was a spot where it becomes super riparian. I didn't get a picture, but there were plants that had leaves almost the size of baby elephant ears. A unique ecosystem. So neat! We had fun looking at snails. They were all over the place!





Willow hiked all the way up the trail with the exception of obstacle course walking-in-creek, jumping through branches part. She is such trooper! I carried her down the mountain and she ended up falling asleep on my back. Awe. My arms really felt that the next day! Note to self, bring ergo pack just in case next time.




We hiked back to the trail-head. Bryan manged to get a fire starting with steady rain coming down.
What a man! We enjoyed a picnic, complete with s'mores.



It was a terrific and memorable Mother's Day, thanks to my HamiFami! I am grateful and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment