It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it is confirmed. This month has been a refreshingly wet month, particularly spectacular after a dry winter. There has been a May monsoon pattern of regular afternoon showers. Every gardeners dream :)
The basin is full, the various playas around the valley are flooded:
So, as a desert rat it's natural to be drawn to the water. We took our swimsuits, dogs, and kayak to swim on the playa! Carpe Diem! Not sure if or when this will happen again so I thought it would be fun to document! This is one way we build our immune systems ;)
"Raindrops keep falling on my head" ........ desert style :)
The rare occasion of floating on a sagebrush ocean! Hahaha
The simplicity and joy of childhood. Makes me smile :)
The next day I took Willow to preschool and decided to exercise the dogs at the large salt flat. The water there is the fullest I can recall seeing. Where there is water, there is life. Birds were chattering up conversations all around.
One the way back to EskDale I decided to stop at the small salt flat too. Why not? Water on another ancient Lake Bonneville bed......
Dogs had fun making a splash.....
Back at home, I've started on my garden. I've planted seeds and the rain has really boosted the process. They've been less maintenance with watering. In fact I didn't have to water for 3 days. That's a big deal in the desert with seedlings. And the temperatures are normal for this time of year. It's refreshing. Last year was a completely different story. Hopefully I'll get the rest of the garden done this week. This extra moisture also means more weeds. I'll put the kids to work :)
Now that it's Memorial Weekend, this month is a wrap!


















No comments:
Post a Comment