My garden did pretty good this year although it was really late. Usually I have plants under wall-o-waters memorial weekend. This year I planted late June. Things in my world have not worked out in a timely manner at all this year. I struggle to keep up with life. lol
Anyway, the first two months of the garden season I was so tired of dragging hoses e.v.e.r.y.d.a.y. that the chore was becoming a burden more than a hobby. It was sooo hot and dry! Finally relief arrived with the monsoon season in July; that's when the plants really took off! My job was cut in half and I got to put my feet up and enjoy my garden. The hard work really pays off when you get to harvest. I love the fact that I've got a little healthy, whole foods store in my backyard. It's one of those little joys in life that I greatly appreciate. What I don't have, I get from mom and grandpa's garden, such as potatoes......... yummers!
Anyway, the first two months of the garden season I was so tired of dragging hoses e.v.e.r.y.d.a.y. that the chore was becoming a burden more than a hobby. It was sooo hot and dry! Finally relief arrived with the monsoon season in July; that's when the plants really took off! My job was cut in half and I got to put my feet up and enjoy my garden. The hard work really pays off when you get to harvest. I love the fact that I've got a little healthy, whole foods store in my backyard. It's one of those little joys in life that I greatly appreciate. What I don't have, I get from mom and grandpa's garden, such as potatoes......... yummers!
| Cilantro, Italian Basil, Lemon Basil |
My squash really spidered out of my garden; and still is!
| Cucumbers |
I made use of our crib this year. I used all but the mattress for a support system for plants to climb. It did wonderfully for my cucumbers and melons!
| Muskmelon |
| Purple Green Beans :) |
| Grandpa's famous Cantaloup |
My corn didn't do very well this year :(
| Cabbage |
| Jalepenos |
| Hot (and I do mean HOT) Peppers |
Every year is different; "ya never know what your going to get " :)
One of my zuchini's hid from me so when I actually noticed it ~ it was about 19 inches long 5 inches wide. Usually when they get that big they have many blemishes. This was a great looking veggie! I ended up shredding it up. I got 19 cups of shredded zuchini out of it! It's in my freezer in ziplock bags now, we will enjoy it all winter long........ lol
I've also been successful in planting cucumbers which have failed in the past. They are great looking and abundant; as are my home-grown tomatoes:
I'll leave you with some lyrics of Guy Clark:
One of my zuchini's hid from me so when I actually noticed it ~ it was about 19 inches long 5 inches wide. Usually when they get that big they have many blemishes. This was a great looking veggie! I ended up shredding it up. I got 19 cups of shredded zuchini out of it! It's in my freezer in ziplock bags now, we will enjoy it all winter long........ lol
I've also been successful in planting cucumbers which have failed in the past. They are great looking and abundant; as are my home-grown tomatoes:
I'll leave you with some lyrics of Guy Clark:
Ain't nothin' in the world that I like better
Than bacon & lettuce & homegrown tomatoes
Up in the mornin' out in the garden
Get you a ripe one don't get a hard one
Plant `em in the spring eat `em in the summer
All winter with out `em's a culinary bummer
I forget all about the sweatin' & diggin'
Everytime I go out & pick me a big one
Homegrown tomatoes homegrown tomatoes
What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love & homegrown tomatoes
You can go out to eat & that's for sure
But it's nothin' a homegrown tomato won't cure
Put `em in a salad, put `em in a stew
You can make your very own tomato juice
Eat `em with egss, eat `em with gravy
Eat `em with beans, pinto or navy
Put `em on the site put `em in the middle
Put a homegrown tomato on a hotcake griddle
If I's to change this life I lead
I'd be Johnny Tomato Seed
`Cause I know what this country needs
Homegrown tomatoes in every yard you see
When I die don't bury me
In a box in a cemetary
Out in the garden would be much better
I could be pushin' up homegrown tomatoes
Than bacon & lettuce & homegrown tomatoes
Up in the mornin' out in the garden
Get you a ripe one don't get a hard one
Plant `em in the spring eat `em in the summer
All winter with out `em's a culinary bummer
I forget all about the sweatin' & diggin'
Everytime I go out & pick me a big one
Homegrown tomatoes homegrown tomatoes
What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love & homegrown tomatoes
You can go out to eat & that's for sure
But it's nothin' a homegrown tomato won't cure
Put `em in a salad, put `em in a stew
You can make your very own tomato juice
Eat `em with egss, eat `em with gravy
Eat `em with beans, pinto or navy
Put `em on the site put `em in the middle
Put a homegrown tomato on a hotcake griddle
If I's to change this life I lead
I'd be Johnny Tomato Seed
`Cause I know what this country needs
Homegrown tomatoes in every yard you see
When I die don't bury me
In a box in a cemetary
Out in the garden would be much better
I could be pushin' up homegrown tomatoes
No comments:
Post a Comment