Grandpa passed away just shy of his 92nd birthday which would have been on December 2nd. A week before, I was able to spend the day with him and felt compelled to take these photos. Adam and I took him outside where he loves it the most. We wheeled him down to the chicken coop to watch the chickens and then paused to soak up the sun on his front lawn. He loved the fresh air.
In his element, I would often noticed grandpa's gaze. His kind, wise eyes and his beautiful soul. You only needed to spend moments with him to feel comfortable, welcomed, and warmed by his essence.
As far as I know, grandpa didn't complain about much except laziness. He set the bar high with an incredible work ethic. I can relate to his connection to the outdoors. He taught me the importance staying close to nature and getting my hands into the earth.
I admired his compassion, his spirituality, ability to forgive, and the deep love for his family. He expressed emotions in an era when it wasn't socially acceptable for men to show such a "weakness."
He was one of the first men that I'd really seen be his authentic self. I saw him cry repeatedly, teaching me that men do have emotions and that it was OK to show it. When he told us stories, the tears would come and the words were heartfelt. When grandpa spoke, we listened and it went to our core. He shed more tears the more he aged. His heart just kept getting larger. Tears of joy too with every grand child born.
He was one of the first men that I'd really seen be his authentic self. I saw him cry repeatedly, teaching me that men do have emotions and that it was OK to show it. When he told us stories, the tears would come and the words were heartfelt. When grandpa spoke, we listened and it went to our core. He shed more tears the more he aged. His heart just kept getting larger. Tears of joy too with every grand child born.
He touched the hearts of everyone in the community. News of his death sent a ripple across the valley. He made a positive impact in every person's life here in some way. Doing various jobs, providing guidance in his words of wisdom, and filling people's bellies with produce from his garden.
He left a hole, like another basin developed in the Snake Valley.
He left a hole, like another basin developed in the Snake Valley.
I admired the way he was able to help so many people. He would tire himself out from giving and giving. He worked hard his entire life.
I had a couple of Instagram posts (a couple years old) I wanted to share:
Grandpa, I will miss you here on earth....
I’m grateful for the time I spent with Grandpa. The memories we made. The opportunities my kids had to be with him.
At the graveyard burial service, I realized grandpa's presence in ALL of our families as we gathered around. Looking down at his casket (that he made himself!) 6 feet down in a year socially 6 feet apart.
November full moon, there we were. Grandpa's kids, grandkids, and great-grandchildren. We will carry a piece of him. Some express similar personality, behavioral traits. Others took on physical characteristics.
November full moon, there we were. Grandpa's kids, grandkids, and great-grandchildren. We will carry a piece of him. Some express similar personality, behavioral traits. Others took on physical characteristics.
I hear Grandpa's voice in my mind. I will feel and see his presence in my heart and soul. I can't help but chuckle because he is clearly in our genes more and more strongly. I see him in Isaac's smile and ears (and Sagittarius personality!) and discover, as Grandpa Heber knew ~ we never ever, ever lose a true soul connection. What a gift that is.
You know Grandpa is at peace, but you know he's not resting!
No comments:
Post a Comment