Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Corvid-practices Continue

Well, just an update in our crazy Covid world. Everyday is a new day and a different feeling.
When you get more quiet time (getting away from the screens, distractions, and the auto-pilot activities of life) it's easier to pay attention to how you are feeling. An important question to ask.  There are days I just want to pull the sheets over my head and watch mindless shows and forget about our new reality we live in for a while.
The darkest days are the most difficult. Literally, when the sun hides for days I feel like I'm drained and don't get the helio-therapy charge I need. Leaves me feeling tired and unmotivated. Like the clouds are a down-filled blanket on the already-weighted energy of the world. I can't remember the last time I was bored. When you are a homeowner, parent, and have a job (perhaps the stress of not having one) ~ there's no such thing as boredom. But, I get unmotivated. There are days that I have plenty to do and don't have the interest or mojo to do it. Like my "Up and at it" is broken. At a time like this, if we didn't get the stuff done on our list, that's OK. It's exhausting to process everything that is going on in the world. I find myself not listening to the news for a day or two. Our hamster-on-a-wheel brains need a break. Going on walks or doing physical labor in the yard gets the negative thoughts that ruminate around my head an escape. There are many forms of meditation. We all have our own ways. I look around at my TeamHami in our home and I'm grateful we are all healthy. It's a luxury, the ability to relax, when so much of the world is in flight-and-fight mode trying to survive. Being grateful is easier if you can think about walking in someone else's shoes. Or zoom out and look at the bigger picture in the world. I try to make a mental list of things I am thankful for every day. I find this to be extremely helpful.

Can I vent again for a paragraph or two? When I browse social media there are quotes on how we should be "tough." As long as I can remember we've been reminded to "be tough" especially in times like the present. We've literally been told for decades that we should be thick skinned. Why must we always be the big shot? Proving our power like a bully? Aren't we tired of being tough already? This is how we have been trained since we were young.  Get up. Don't cry. Be powerful. Be great (again). Our narcissistic society has forgotten about the super power of vulnerability. Being vulnerable is what gives us the real power and promotes greatness. Let's be that. Letting our guard down and deflating our egos especially in times like these is for the greater good of humanity. The practice of being vulnerable means to show up and be seen. Raw. Naked. Opening your heart in tremendous courage. Having deep and uncomfortable conversations and reaching deep for those feelings that have been buried. Many times those traumas are waiting to have the light shone on them. Shedding your avatar in a world that encourages us to be a cookie cutter creation.
Such freedom and grace that would bring. A break through ~ a new wave of being vulnerable that would elicit compassion and empathy for humanity. We ALL have feelings to express. In a world that wants you to be tough, it's actual more tough to be sensitive and real. The greatest friendships and relationships have the framework based vulnerability. This coronavirus turmoil is a lesson. It's bringing out the big, bad, ugly, and the worst in our society. Fear, intolerance and racism, hostility, and blaming. But, in the midst of this behavior is incredible acts of compassion, empathy, and kindness. No moment and act are too small to bring comfort and healing. We can all be heroes in this story by thinking of others. This 2020 is a chapter we won't forget, even though we'd like to. In every page we should not only ask ourselves "How we are feeling" but "What did we learn?


Home school will most likely continue the rest of the year. In the beginning it was trial and error. I think we have most of the kinks ironed out and we have a schedule. However, the internet is still slow just like many rural places in the country. There are days we struggle with connection. It's nice on warm days when the kids can do recess or take a break outside. It really is the GREAT outdoors.





Willow can run her mouth like a run-away train and leave me exhausted some days.  Depends on my patience scale. But, I appreciate that she lets me into her world of "Magical, magical." I wish I could be a fairy or a mermaid at times. Moments are much better and playful hanging out with our 6 year old. She's as upbeat as usual. She adapts well, I must say. Still one of the happiest kids on the block.


We wear Coronavirus masks in public places like grocery stores. An accessory in our reality to help stop the spread of the virus. Perhaps this would make a good print?

Bats had a bad reputation before Covid - 19. An article I read stated "It may have started with a bat in a cave, but human acitivity set it loose." Bats are extraordinary creatures that benefit people in myriad ways, and our world would be poorer, duller, and a more dangerous place without them.
#batsarestillourfriends



On April 7th, we forgot about the cornovirus for a while to watched the "Super Pink Moon of 2020." It looked pretty pink as it was coming up from the horizon, but as it got higher in the sky it lost the color. It was a beautiful distraction that we needed at the time.

Advice from a moon:

* Live life to the fullest
* Be someone to look up to
* Don't be phased by difficulties
* Take time to reflect
* Enjoy a little space
Honor the cycles of nature
* Light up the night







Home school. Baking. Cleaning. Cooking. Repeat Monday through Friday. What day is it anyway? Haha. We are losing track of time and it keeps ticking along.
I still look forward to the weekends. Also Bryan and Isaac's baked goods :)


We've been doing some art projects. Hopefully lots more in the near future.....





Food for thought:


While some days we are trying not to lose our minds, Willow is losing her teeth. Working on that summer smile :)
She also begged, pleaded, and allowed Bryan (with hardly a flinch) to pierce her ears! She's is most definitely the happiest kid on the block! I was impressed!


Spring season brings hope, color, and renewed spirit. The first signs pop out in my favorite color too!


Coronavirus is going to continue cancelling events for possibly months. So, for Easter, we had a stay-at-home-cation. Instead of an egg hunt we had a snake hunt. I was just happy to go hit the hills and see cool critters around the valley. A beautiful day! Sssssssspring was here! The flowers were also blooming on the benches of the mountains....







Lessons in nature ~ Take notes of reptiles, they take time to soak up the sun and they always make physical contact with the earth. 















It was good therapy to get out and about. We stopped at the cemetery so Willow could place her "paintbrush" on dad's gravestone.



Another season of processing Great Basin Rattlesnakes. 20 + years of data! Amazing. They are using the new office  ;)
Life is much more exciting when you are quarantined with a scientist!






Ava the apprentice! What a great helper  :) 





I'm keen on finding the simple pleasures in life. Like a pair of Mountain Bluebirds building their nest in our birdhouse. First time renters! We try not to disturb them. We are socially distancing ourselves from them. We can watch their activity from the inside of the house. I was able to take these photos with my long lens camera.



Side note: Do you know the spiritual meaning of the Bluebird? Native Americans say the are messengers of joy and happiness. They remind you to give yourself up to the beauty of nature that surrounds you and set yourself free. You should spend more time in the natural beauty in this world."

Speaking of natural beauty. A rainbow after a rainstorm. Rain in the valley, snow in the mountains is ideal. I love the thought of Spring in the desert!





Spring storms water my garden and feed my soul.......



I'm trying to think more about how I'm using the hours of the clock. What do I want to focus my energy on?  I figure if I have time for social media then I must be killing time. I try to jump on and off and not linger through the nonsense. 
I want to focus more on things that bring me joy. The biggest project I have going now, is prepping a new garden bed. I bought soil from Baker Ranch. Craig brought me a dump truck full which saved me many trips to and from town with bags of dirt. We are still avoiding trips to town unless essential.
I told him "Thank you for helping me with my Victory Garden."
Victory Gardens were also called "War Gardens" where vegetables and herbs were planted in private residences and public parks in times of crisis such as World War I and II. For example:



So, my Victory Garden has much more work to go. But, it's something I find productive and fun. I like playing in the dirt and being outside. Hopefully there will be lots of fruits of our labor to share with the neighbors.


The leaves of the trees are unfolding on the branches. More colors are popping out of the ground. Temperatures are creeping into towards the 70's. It's been fun to watch and hear all the birds in our yard. The finches really love to gather at the feeder.


One of my flower beds has a healthy microbiome. This earth worms is very healthy!


I'm grateful to be quarantined with people of many talents and skills. Artists (writers, painters, sketchers, musicians, performers, gamers, entertainers), researcher, scientist, computer savy techs, gardeners, housekeepers, bakers and cooks!
Virtual ((Hug)). Stay healthy as we continue to ride this out.....

No comments:

Post a Comment