How are you doing under the circumstances?
I was trying to think of ways we are coping with the coronavirus. Foremost, we are trying to have a routine as much as we can, especially with the kids. During the week home school keeps us busy much of the day. I don't want to be over-scheduled either and encourage mental fatigue. We also try not to beat ourselves up if the day doesn't go like planned or things don't go perfectly. It's not the end of the world if the kids don't finish something or maybe they watch too much Netflix of on a particular day. This virus experience has encouraged me to choose my battles and try to reflect on the important things. We need to give ourselves some slack during these stressful times. Try not to beat ourselves up. The world is already doing that for us.
Boredom could breed creativity. I think there is an explosion around the globe with this. People are feeling inspired to make works of art, play music, build, mold, and make things. Everyone has their creative side. Ava has been hand-stitching and sewing lots of cool things. She even let Isaac run her sewing machine and helped him make a stuffed animal cat. It's nice to see empathetic, helpful collaborations happen with kids when they aren't fighting! Haha
The kids REALLY miss going to their friends house and having their friends over here. They need to have projects and fun things that they can focus on.
Ava made furniture, backpacks, and books for Willow's barbie's who apparently are being home-schooled too....
I picked out some fabric and Ava made me a couple of pillows for my new office. She has really taken off with these sewing projects.
We decided we literally had time to watch our gardens grow. Willow started her own project from seeds. We set up our mini-green house. The weather is the typical warm, cold, warm, cold whiplash routine.
We've always tried to make our food mostly from scratch. But, lately we are inspired to bake and cook even more things. We are trying to minimize trips to stores. Bryan makes the best breads, pizzas, and naan. Isaac still bakes his desserts! The challenge is not spending time in the kitchen cooking. It's trying to find ingredients like flour in the stores!
We've been de-cluttering the house. I feel that we've always had donation boxes going for years. But, now it's like Spring cleaning on heroine haha. There is still much to do in my mind when it comes to home projects. Willow and Isaac have their own rooms now. Isaac is thrilled to have some personal space. We have officially socially distanced our rooms! Ha!
Landscaping projects have gone from the back burner to making progress. I've had these railroad ties meant for a new garden bed and I've got it laid out how I want. Still a lot of work to go on this.
Willow and I made BBQ pit benches from cinder blocks. Looking forward to weekend family time around a fire....
Rest and rejuvenate. We are practicing more of the "Art of non-doing."
I don't feel guilty about this at all.
We are trying to maintain a regular exercise program for our physical and mental health. Some days are more productive than others. But, I consider this as one of the most important activities in our day. The dogs are aware of the current energy of the world and they have nervous energy to expel. They are good at walking us regularly :)
We are checking in with loved ones. Staying connected (even through a screen or a call) is imperative. Being social every once in a while, or for extroverts all the time, is one of our basic psychological needs for our wellness. Our communication is mostly in the form of calls and texting. But, I find it refreshing to be able to talk to friends from a safe-distance (6 feet) around town.
The town is mostly eerily empty which is good because people are at home. But, it's nice to get face time with someone without the Face-Time App if you know what I mean. This can be accomplished mindfully and safely.
The town is mostly eerily empty which is good because people are at home. But, it's nice to get face time with someone without the Face-Time App if you know what I mean. This can be accomplished mindfully and safely.
A subfusc day can end with a beautiful sunset. You are always reminded that tomorrow is another day. Practicing gratitude, meditating, and taking long meaningful breathes help maintain mental health during this lockdown.
I try to be optimistic and look at the sunny side. It's challenging when you feel the weighted, worry energy of the world. We have to take it day by day. If you think about life in February and how different it was. Now our lives are turned upside down. Things happen that you don't expect. The painful part is that you can't see the road ahead. The uncertainty is painful. I count my blessings. I cry for others really struggling in the world. There is a lot of trauma and suffering. This will forever change the status quo. This pandemic will be another huge chapter in the history books. The prediction models say that 1 million people could die. It could be 2 million if people don't follow the official procedure. What's even more sad is that there will be no "gatherings" for the funerals. We are in the "thick" of it now. Hoping that everyone will play their part as much a possible to help soften the blow. It's strange to see the busiest streets in the county empty.
My heart goes out to those who are in the front lines. Doctors, nurses, and people in the service industry that are essential. We gripe about staying home and that’s where they would prefer to be for their own safety. They are risking their lives everyday. Forget Hollywood. These are the hero’s and rockstars! Anytime I feel sorry for myself, they are the ones I think about.
Do you ever get an itch in your throat? Your nose starts to run? You automatically panic and think Coronavirus? That's me. It's similar to knowing someone next to you has lice and suddenly your scalp starts to itch. I saw a meme that said "Your allergies are going to put you on the Salem Witch Trials." LOL.
Even in this serious situation we need to laugh. Even if you don't think it's appropriate. Do you have those times where you feel shameful about laughing during times like these?
I remind myself that laughter is medicine and it reduces stress. Art and humor right now is one of the most comforting things especially in these times. It helps "normalize" the situation we're in without really ignoring the concern.
I'm relieved to have my family to isolate with. The kids forget the world's problems when we play. I know we can get on each other's nerves. But at least I have someone to snuggle with and ((hug)).
Going out in nature is a huge source of meditation for me personally. I'm grateful I can walk out my door, walk barefoot around my grass, or access a trail knowing there is freedom to roam without a crowd. But, if you can't, the next best thing is to bring nature to you.
My heart goes out to those who are in the front lines. Doctors, nurses, and people in the service industry that are essential. We gripe about staying home and that’s where they would prefer to be for their own safety. They are risking their lives everyday. Forget Hollywood. These are the hero’s and rockstars! Anytime I feel sorry for myself, they are the ones I think about.
Do you ever get an itch in your throat? Your nose starts to run? You automatically panic and think Coronavirus? That's me. It's similar to knowing someone next to you has lice and suddenly your scalp starts to itch. I saw a meme that said "Your allergies are going to put you on the Salem Witch Trials." LOL.
Even in this serious situation we need to laugh. Even if you don't think it's appropriate. Do you have those times where you feel shameful about laughing during times like these?
I remind myself that laughter is medicine and it reduces stress. Art and humor right now is one of the most comforting things especially in these times. It helps "normalize" the situation we're in without really ignoring the concern.
I'm relieved to have my family to isolate with. The kids forget the world's problems when we play. I know we can get on each other's nerves. But at least I have someone to snuggle with and ((hug)).
Going out in nature is a huge source of meditation for me personally. I'm grateful I can walk out my door, walk barefoot around my grass, or access a trail knowing there is freedom to roam without a crowd. But, if you can't, the next best thing is to bring nature to you.
Inspired by my love for nature and music, I created this video of my photography and paired it with a song by Bonnie Raitt. Pictures are all taken less than 70 miles from our house, except the planet shots of course. I call it "Eco-therapy from the Couch."
You can watch it from my YouTube channel (HERE).
Baby steps, we still have to weather this storm together for a while.
Sending you all love and good vibes as we continue to self - isolate.
You can watch it from my YouTube channel (HERE).
Baby steps, we still have to weather this storm together for a while.
Sending you all love and good vibes as we continue to self - isolate.
Love, love the Barbie homeschooling and all the cool stuff Ava has made. Wow! Such creativity. I miss seeing you more often. Hang in there!
ReplyDelete