Monday, April 20, 2015

Sssssssnake Dens

Ssssssssspring in the Great Basin, where it is 80 degrees one day ~ then the following day it hails. Yeah, that happened recently. It's enough to cause us and the critters confusion and whiplash ;)
It's the season of the sssssssssnake as you know, and Bryan & crew have been hard at work capturing and processing the Great Basin Rattlesnake. A couple of Bryan's dens he's been studying for over a decade! I'm hoping to get some pictures this year of the processing part.
Willow and I went out with Bryan one afternoon. It was fun to be back in the field. It was a beautiful day!
The gear was all ready to go:


It didn't take long at the first den to spot a rattlesnake stretched out in a crack.



Professional at work.......


The study subject......



In the bag......


Another subject sunbathing on a rock........



A mirror is a great tool to assist in viewing darker spaces.......



I document while Willow oversees the job ;)
She puts her two cents in every once in a while and says, "Ssssssssssssss."




Thankfully, I'm not too rusty at this job.......






Bryan types information/data into his phone......


Where there is a rattlesnake den there are usually many whip snake sheds. Willow had fun crunching one in her fingers.....


...... I asked her what does a snake say? In which she replied, "Sssssssssss!" 
Haha




Willow expressing excitement to seeing her daddy return from the hill......... lol



This next stop may be familiar looking to some of you.........






Those little guys are pretty ssssssssneaky.........




...... and that's a wrap!



A day well Ssssssssspent :)

No comments:

Post a Comment