Bryan, the kids, and I went on an adventure last weekend in the Mohave Desert in and near Laughlin, NV. The temperatures were above normal for this time of year, which was no surprise. In the heat of the day the temperatures were 105 degrees. We made sure to keep ourselves hydrated, especially on our hikes. We could only hike in the mornings and evenings. During the day we did other activities (like swimming at our hotel!)
One of our hikes was in a canyon called Sacatone. Our goal was to find reptiles. Bryan, being a herpetologist, knew where to look for specific species of critters. We didn't see much moving on the road while driving at night. It's extra dry in the desert this year. There are some cool animals and beautiful scenery in the Mohave Desert! Sometimes you get skunked on trips like these when the conditions aren't ideal. This trip was not a disappointment; at least while we were on foot!
One of our hikes was in a canyon called Sacatone. Our goal was to find reptiles. Bryan, being a herpetologist, knew where to look for specific species of critters. We didn't see much moving on the road while driving at night. It's extra dry in the desert this year. There are some cool animals and beautiful scenery in the Mohave Desert! Sometimes you get skunked on trips like these when the conditions aren't ideal. This trip was not a disappointment; at least while we were on foot!
| Wildlife Viewing |
It wasn't long before we spotted one of my favorite lizards, the Chuckwalla. They look intimidating, but are really quite gentle; unless you poke it in the eye 5-6 times like Isaac did. In return, the lizard gave Isaac a quick nip on the finger. He wasn't hurt, just surprised and scared. lol
We joked around with Isaac the rest of the weekend saying, "What happens when you poke a lizard in the eye? You get bit by Chuck!" Isaac wasn't too traumatized, I guarantee he'd pet another one if he had a chance. Maybe even poke it it in the eye?
lol
| I Love Chuckwallas! |
Isn't that one of the coolest lizards you ever seen?
Of course, I have many more photos of this trip. I will post them as quickly as I can........ so get ready (I'm on a roll as long as I have good internet access)........
No comments:
Post a Comment