Thursday, December 6, 2018

Time

"What I miss most of all is the sunshine in the Fall."
Yep, the days are shorter and darker and we had to reset the clocks. I don't mind the cold and snow so much but I feel like a battery that never charges without as much light. After all, our bodies absorb and emit light. One of the things plants and us have in common. So, it seems that 11:00 am is the peak of the day! Haha. I admit, the overcast days are the most challenging for me...


I continue to take photos. As I look through my lens I think ~ perhaps this is one way to stop or slow time? Snap. Preserved. I admit, I'm a hoarder of photos. A collector of memories :)




We recently had a tender moment with Grandma, who is in the care center. There's not usually a lot of dialogue with her (she refuses to wear her hearing aids) but we hang out and enjoy each others company. Willow and grandma made silly faces at each other for a while. Then, grandma decided to make some improvements to Willow's bad hair day.....




Grandpa is at home. He continues to do what he does. I enjoy our conversations. Usually I have to sneak pictures of him. Occasionally he will play along, like this picture with the kids. Spending time with family is time never wasted.



Willow's drawing of family time:


Being cooped up in the house means we do more art work. That's kinda nice. I have some art projects in mind myself. Ava drew this picture for her sister. Willow was pleased.


Willow is the one with the most time on her hands through the day. That will change next year when she goes to Kindergarten. I think she's getting tired of hanging out with her mom all the time ;) Sometimes she struggles to fill her day. How would that be? The simplicity of childhood. It's a precious thing. She lives in a world right now with mermaids, fairies, and princesses. And that's just fine.

"Daddy, would you put my hair in a Cinderella bun?"



Isaac had to get 6 teeth removed because of over-crowding (extra teeth) in his mouth. Yikes, poor guy. He was a trooper. But, he's all set for getting braces in two years!


Isaac continues to be a master baker. Occasionally he recruits an apprentice  :)
I love the smell and the warmth of the kitchen on those cold, dark days.



It seems we haven't had many vibrant sunsets like we normally do. This is the dull time of year I appreciate more color splashed across the sky. The last of the Fall leaves cling to the branches of the trees.....


Taking time to exercise and just keep moving is one of the most important activities that gets me through winter. A admit, I drag myself out and force it most days. It's easy to curl up on a couch and wish to binge watch Netflix instead. But I'm reminded again and again how much better I feel and that my immune system thanks me. I tell myself that a body in motion stays in motion. But, I do need inspiration just like most people. Sunshine is a BIG motivator for me...



Many days I peel myself up, put a little sunshine in my pocket and carry on!


One way that I've slowed time down for myself is to try to be more mindful in everything that I do. The way I eat and move my body. The thoughts that scroll through my head. Discarding the distractions (screens) to allow myself to be present in the moment. I'm zoned out when my 5 year old has to repeat a question 3 times because I'm looking at my phone. It happens to everyone; we all get sucked into various things that swallow our time and energy in a negative way. There's times we have no choice. Other times we tend to create a pattern of self sabotage; if we allow it. Some days I'm consumed by social media and am quite frankly shocked when my notifications tell me how many minutes I've used up scrolling through pages that in no way improved my day. Haha. I have realized that when I practice being mindful, grateful, and avoid distractions  ~ those are more meaningful days. A more productive, healthy use of the minutes on the clock.
 I look at my kids and literally see them grow before my eyes. This really makes me look at a bigger picture and see the value of time. I know that one of the greatest gifts you can give your loved ones is your attention. The world seems to spin faster. It really is a "quickening" as it's described. It took me years to figure out the life isn't really about finding balance. You can make yourself mad. It's more about constantly supporting your mind, body, and soul to get through the crazy.


"Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment in life." 

No comments:

Post a Comment