Friday, September 14, 2018

August Perseid Shower

Snake Valley is home to some of the last true dark skies. It's so dark that some scientists are calling it an endangered resource. It's easy to take it for granted as are many things. Sometimes I walk out of the house at night and happen to look up and it hits me. The clearness and beauty all laid out above me. Our little town has some bright lights, but if I go on the north side of my house I can get away from the light pollution a little. I took these photos in my yard and driveway......









I decided to change location and head up to the Ranching Exhibit (a few miles up the passed Baker).  I wasn't alone in my quest for a good night sky picture. Their were a couple of other people enjoying it too. The park is a popular star-gazing destination.







These Perseid showers remind me to practice photography every once in a while. I'm not especially fond of getting up at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning like this night. But, when I do I never regret it.....

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't you know it...this year with no moon our air was filled with smoke, up in the Chelan Wa. area...
    My home is in a very dark sky valley, except for the new houses being built, these folks have yet to appreciate dark sky....
    I am attempting to teach them..
    Glad you folks had a great view..
    Upriverdavid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, we do have an incredible night sky here. The haze from the fires in our state and surrounding state made it more difficult this summer. I'm glad to hear that you appreciate the night skies too and that you can share it. Great Basin National Park does some incredible sky parties. Thank you for the comment. Keep looking up ;) Jenny

    ReplyDelete