Tick Tock..... we did a lot of waiting.
Isaac dressed in his hospital gown..... the famous slippers too ;)
Butterflies are calmed with kisses..... and a little medication haha.
Our heartstrings were tugged. He didn't act nervous. I think I was more than him. I knew what was coming. I asked him if he was anxious and he nodded his head. I figured he was too but he put on a brave face.
"May the 4th be with you!"
One of the nurses asked Isaac if he wanted to ride into the surgical room in a wagon. He gladly accepted....
He played games which helped his nerves I think.....
Waiting, waiting....
Scar buddies for life! Like mom like son. Haha
The surgery lasted 1.5 hours. Isaac woke up in recovery with his little hospital side-kick that he colored.....
It's difficult to see your child go under anesthesia and then have to manage the pain after surgery....
He didn't swell up as much as I thought he would. Just a little bit.
He slept when he didn't have discomfort. Pain of course is always worse at night. That was the rough time. He never complained about his mouth, only his hip where the bone was scraped from.
The next morning he was feeling OK (as long as the meds were given on time). He managed to sip down some foods in liquid form ;)
Eventually he was able to hobble around. Discharge papers took forever. We were all ready to go. It would be much more comfortable recovering at home. We had a 4 hour drive, plus a stop at the store, which wasn't ideal but we made it....
Isaac didn't go to school for a week. He had instructions that he couldn't do any physical activities like trampoline, biking, swimming, playing ball etc, for 5 weeks. This is one reason we didn't wait until summer to schedule the surgery. That would have been cruel. He did manage to get lots of screen time that week. More importantly, lots of rest.
He moved like an 80 year old man for a week and a half; posture and all. He couldn't walk up straight for a quite a while. Eventually he felt good enough to get a hair-cut. What a handsome little man!
and have I mentioned that I L.O.V.E his style?!
He will continue to follow instructions and recover.
Thank you friends and family for all for your love & support! XO
No comments:
Post a Comment