I was thrilled when we scheduled a camping trip with friends. I anticipated returning; as it called my name for two years. You know how time gets away especially when you have your third kid ;)
So, with an open mind, open heart, and hiking boots we set out to tackle the weekend and a couple of peaks while we were at it! The switchback road going up to Mt.Washington is always an adventure in of itself. We stopped at the old mine on the way up.....
Shortly after the mine, we meandered into bristlecone pines. These trees grow more rapidly because they are at a lower elevation where it's more favorable. Growing here, they aren't shaped by the elements or achieve their legendary age. But, they are unique anyway.
Holgrem's buckwheat is a species endemic to the Snake Range. It's a sensitive species found in quartzite and limestone talus. It's pretty easy to identify as it has red flowers and quite frankly there's not a whole lot else growing in this alpine and subalpine areas that looks like it! Haha
Many, many years ago this part of the bristlecone forest burned down. It's making a great recovery and it's more ideal habitat for bighorn sheep. New life sprouts in between the black skeletons that still stand erect.....
Deer grazed in open meadows......
After we set up camp, I wandered around to take it all in; and take photos of course ;)
Such a great energy up here; absolutely breathtaking......
Some call this ridge, the Great Wall of China :)
Back at camp, we prepared to explore before dinner. Patrick has his hands full at the moment.....
Willow sat by our friend, Brooks, looking ready for bed already....haha
We drove to the trailhead. It was a short hike to the peak of Mt.Washington; but when the air is thin and the trail is steep it's still hard work!
The weather was overcast and the temps were great......
3 month old, Lily!
Benjamin had his "power stick" and really worked his little legs on that trail......
Look who's at the top?!
We are at 11, 658 ft......
In my element; the simple pleasures in life.....
We decided to continue on down towards the bristlecone pine grove, where access was difficult.....
This is bighorn sheep habitat so you know it's going to be an interesting path; you have to be surefooted. There is no developed trail, obviously. I sped ahead to get these shots of the group on the mountain. They look like little ants....
The largest Bristlecone Pine grove in the park was almost at our reach. Ava and I sat down to wait for the others...
This would be the end of the hike for most of the group. The trail proved to be far too dangerous to proceed for little feet. They were troopers to make it this far! We were so proud of them! Patrick and Jess offered to return to the truck with the kids while Bryan, Brooks, Willow, and I trekked on. This was the most challenging part of the trail, the only way of navigating safety was following a large mammal game trail; most likely bighorn. Super steep and rocks like marbles under our shoes. It was a relief to feel safe at the bottom. The first bristlecone pine I met was one of my favorites. It looked like a bonsai. I sat Willow down under its ancient, twisted branches. This was her first introduction to one :)
One secret to the bristlecone pine's longevity is the harsh environment where conditions are cold, growing season is short, and winds are high. They grow so slow. Some years they don't even add a ring of growth. The slow growth makes their wood dense and resistant to insects, rot, and erosion. They sit just below treeline like sculptures. Unlike the Wheeler Peak grove, this particular bristlecone grove on Mt. Washington grow exclusively on limestone.
We walk among the ancients. It makes me feel puny.....
This tree is notable, it's on many postcards....
It's like wandering another planet.....
This was the largest bristlecone in the grove (I think)....
I felt empowered being near it. I struck my "Bristlecone Tree Pose".....
:)
Look at this root system....
The tree is very much alive!
The sun was shining through the overcast clouds so I used my sunglasses to play with the photo.....
I wonder, I wonder how old you are little tree at my feet? 100 years? Much to contemplate when you are surrounded by trees that that have seen thousands of years of history....
We headed back using our hands and feet to help our burning legs climb up the steep ridge. I gladly let the thin air surge through my lungs taking a break while Bryan glassed for bighorn with his binoculars....
One last view of the ancient bristlecone pine grove. We would be back again.
It wasn't going anywhere soon ;)
Life pops out of unexpected places and surprises you; like these beautiful flowers.....
Willow is already a nature girl. She insists on going with us on all our adventures; even if it's rugged! It's even better when she's got her dad's hand :)
One of the best parts about camping is sitting and watching the flames of the fire dance.
I have to say, the food was equally delicious.
The forest was filled with song. Literally, it's nice when Bryan brings his guitar :)
The overcast sky didn't help our chances of seeing the milky way, but the big dipper was in view....
We needed some rest for another big day ahead of us. I was looking forward to exploring a new area; destination Lincoln Peak :)

























































































No comments:
Post a Comment