Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Moon Hike

My friend Gretchen and I were talking about how we were disappointed to have missed the moon hikes that Great Basin National Park had scheduled throughout the summer months. Then a light clicked on and we thought, "Why not do our OWN moon hike?" The weather has been incredible this month. Highs in the 70s. Lows in the 50s. We set a date for the hike a day before the full moon (night of the October Blood Moon).
The Strawberry Creek trail was a great choice for our first "Moon Hike" adventure. This was a familiar trail for us under sunlight. But, it was a whole new experience under the moonlight!



We paused to listen to the forest. We weren't alone. We could hear the Elk bugle. What a special time of year, and how cool was it to experience that.......


We encouraged the kids to refrain from using their flashlights, as you could see the moonlight illuminating the trail ahead.......


Then we started talking about how good carrots are for your night vision..... Haha.
Ok, we had some interesting and fun discussions on that hike :)


Hello Moon! 


The bridges are always one of the highlights on a trail. We are also conditioned to pull out snacks and have a seat when we get to them :)
Gretchen was getting some photos of the kids, and I highjacked an opportunity myself ........



October Moon........


I couldn't help but think of Great Basin National Park's slogan:
"Half of the Park is after Dark!

Such beauty........


This large bridge means the hike came to an end. A quick pose for another picture before we headed home.......





I did have intentions of waking myself up at 3:30 am to get a photo or two of the blood moon, but I couldn't force myself out of bed. I was happy I got photos of the previous blood moon (Here) back in April.


I feel like we may have started an annual tradition with the "Moon Hike." 
The kids thought that was really neat. What great memories for us all. 

Here is a link to Gretchen's blog to see her wonderful photos: 


No comments:

Post a Comment