Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Storm: Memorial Weekend

........ And what a storm that was - I think it surprised the socks off everyone! Not, the cold part because that's to be expected in the Great Basin. It was the accumulation of snow ALL day long. Ely (a town 65 miles from us) got just under a foot - while we had a few inches. It looked like the month of November in the mountains and the valleys!

The snow was so wet I had to go around my house and shake the branches of all my young trees as they were bowing down almost kissing the ground. I remember doing this last Spring on April 27th and at that time I had one tree split right down the middle from the weight of that snow.

Old Man Winter had returned with a vengeance.................. and it was almost June :(



My tomatoes and peppers weren't phased by the snow or cold inside their protective wall-o-waters. In fact, I already have 3 tomatoes growing :)


The birds were perched right at the feeders throughout the snowy day. The leaves of the trees didn't keep them dry. They had a hard time flying around after a while with soaked feathers.









The hummingbirds were in for a couple of cold nights................. hopefully this sugar water helped lift their spirits :P lol


When I went outside to shake snow off the trees I noticed Alaska playing with something. I thought it was a mouse - and then it chirped. So, I went over and took his live "toy" away from him. It was a Western Tanager. He didn't seem hurt. Just scared and cold. So, I took it inside to give it a chance to dry out and recharge.


Ava was willing to hold it even at 8:00 in the morning half asleep. lol





As soon as it was able to fly around - we opened the door and released it back outside.
It did just fine!

Lately, I've been photographing a lot of birds with my nice lens. It's been fun. I'll have to post more of them soon.


Currently, we are in the middle of a cold front (surprise, surprise). The wind has been aweful the last couple of days. So, I haven't done much in the garden. Instead of watching my garden grow - I'm watching my lawn grow....... Ha ha.


The wind has also been making our internet fail most of the day. So, I'm lucky I'm on here tonight; and am happy about it :D


Today was the last day of preschool. Now, if it would only FEEL like school should be out......... bring on Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment