Friday, June 3, 2011

Playin' on the Playa

Fresh powder on the mountains looks amazing no matter what time of year. I took these pictures on my way to Ely to work Memorial Day.


Mount Moriah



Mount Wheeler in the clouds


Spring Valley

West side of Wheeler



Returning home at the end of the day I noticed, near my mom's house, a body of water out in the sagebrush. It was an old dry lake bed (also known as playa, hard pan, salt flat, etc..) that wasn't so dry anymore. I couldn't believe how much water there was! After I picked the kids up - we walked out to the oasis in the desert.......




We were standing in the muddy, shallow section. I love the look of cracked mud.
My first impression was "It's been so long since I've seen water actually pool up on this playa." My other thought was "Those spadefoot toads are going to love this!"









It was so weird to see a reflection of Wheeler Peak and Moriah from my mom's house............... lol









Who knows when the next time this will happen again............I took a few photos ;)

There's still a lot more snow that needs to melt in the mountains too. This is going to be a noteworthy Spring!

Today is a lovely day, by the way

- Finally *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment