It was July 2 (4th of July weekend) and here we were again ready to tackle the peak. I was visualizing Isaac and I at the top. I was so glad to hike this with him. This may be a new tradition. Might not be back up here until Willow is 7 ! Haha
The trail begins through an aspen forest. Lovely and refreshing. The poor trees didn't look as healthy as they normally do this time of year. Could it be the dryness and heat?
Gretchen was training for a more challenging hike later in the summer so she was carrying a heavy pack. A wonder woman!
We left the aspen stands and meandered through a beautiful meadow. The kids were excited about the first snack break. What a view! The mountain is calling so we must go.....
This spot is absolutely beautiful, up on the ridge looking down at Stella Lake...
Then we were above tree-line. This is where the trail became much more difficult. Isaac was ready to give up at this point. He wanted to sit down every 5 steps. Craig was so kind, he took his pack and carried it the rest of the way. This helped Isaac move a little better, although the wining didn't stop. But, we kept encouraging him and using techniques to help get his mind off the pain. We slowly climbed switchbacks ~ exposed on a steep, talus slope. When you think you are in good shape, just climb Wheeler Peak ;)
The thin air makes it the most difficult. I tried to get Isaac to focus on certain muscles and be mindful of taking breaths. Instructing him was a good reminder for me too. It's not often we are up this high of elevation. Sometimes when you conquer a mountain you conquer yourself.....
The snow was an fun part for the kids. They seemed to enjoy this part of the hike. We were nearing the rock shelters. We were proud of the progress we had made. We had our eye on the prize.
There it was, the spine of the mountain... leading to the peak. So close yet so far away haha.
Isaac broke past the pain threshold and became an eager hiker. I even got him to smile. No more tears. That's when we felt confident that we were going to make it!
I told Isaac he could lay down in the snow to chill his muscles. He just looked at me and gave me a crooked zig-zag grin :)
Stella and Teresa Lakes:
The rock shelters were a welcoming sight. We enjoyed "lunch with a view" and rested up....
After a nice break, we continued to tread up the mountain one foot in front of the other.....
The park is busy on holiday weekends. Hikers looked like little ants on a log....
Another refreshing deep patch of snow....
Matthew and Isaac talked about video games the last part of the hike. Their discussion was a positive distraction. They forgot about their legs and they surged up the mountain like they were the boss.
Look at Craig, he ended up carrying three packs! What a strong guy. We were grateful.
The trail was so steep we used each shelter to catch our breath....
Gretchen and I stopped to take photos of the beautiful flowers. I've never seen so many bouquets at this elevation and in this rocky terrain before. I was mesmerized.
With flowers, there were the butterflies.... so cool!
The pink, purple, and yellow petals dotted the grey landscape...
Gretchen, still going strong with that pack!
Yes, lots of flower shots.....
Last push up and we were rewarded with this view....
Basin and range, basin and range as far as the eye can see. Nevada is vast, open, wild, and beautiful.
I couldn't resist getting various panoramic shots with my iPhone:
Stella, Teresa, and Brown Lakes below:
Gretchen and I walked over to peer down at the glacier.....
So great to be up here sharing another great experience with Gretchen!
Quick selfie for more documenting haha!
I returned to the shelter to find the littles still recovering.....
They recovered quite quickly because they decided to build the highest fort in Nevada :)
I was a proud momma standing above 13,000 ft with my 7 year old! I think he was proud of his accomplishment too.
My strong little man! An epic hike under his belt.
Group shot!
We were "trying" to get the motivation to hike down..... haha
Isaac's face expressed how we all felt about the 4 mile hike down....
At least we didn't have the cold and wind this time!
A great view comes from a great climb in the Great Basin.
We decided to go off trail and do the shoot that goes behind Stella Lake. It was a journey I would only like to experience once. It wasn't any faster down because of the large, unstable rocks. A lesson learned. Interesting way down; won't do a repeat! Now we can say we did it! Haha
We thought the snow would be fun to slide down. Parts of it were, others were more work.....
Getting down to Stella Lake onto a normal trail felt luxurious! Our muscles and bones thanked us.
The hike turned out to be 9 hours with kids. I think we were all looking forward to going home and kicking our boots off. An epsom salt bath was calling my name. I thought Isaac would be completely exhausted, but he was running at the house like a hike didn't happen! lol geeeeez.
Gretchen did an great post about this hike on her blog too (here).
No comments:
Post a Comment