We joined him on the adventure to find out. Our destination was rugged bighorn sheep habitat: Mt. Washington in the park. I always look forward to going here. It's one of my favorite places.
It's a gnarly twisted road to get to the gnarly twisted Bristlecone pines. There was some snow in the shade on the road. Normally, this would be impossible in December. I can't believe we were here this time of year! The weather had predicted nasty winds so we were prepared to have a challenge ahead of us on this hike.
View from the summit on December 2nd:
Bighorn sheep territory is not a walk in the park lol. Steep, slippery, and exposed to the elements. The gusts of winds were so strong we had to sit down. We knew the distance wasn't long but we had to work hard!
I have a greater appreciation for bighorn sheep, blue grouse, and other living things that tolerate this harsh environment. We were witnessing the winds that help shape the Bristlecone pines. It was slightly scary, but thrilling and amazing. Every minute it looked more intense.
I felt like a national geographic explorer that day haha.
My badass Biologist ;)
The mountain creating its own weather at 11,000 ft......
We hiked our butts down a steep slope about 1,000 ft and found the collar! Guess there wasn't a deceased sheep after all which is good. It's also great to have recovered the equipment. Goal achieved. Do you see it camouflaged?
We hiked back as fast as we could, our lungs working hard for the thin air.....
When we got home the town's power was out from poles that the wind blew down. I guess it was out for hours while we were gone. We lit a toasty fire.
1.5 hours later the power came on and we finished the day with dinner and put our feet up and relaxed our muscles :)
So, I looked at the extended forecast and I think Old Man Winter won't be here at all for December.
This dry spell is throwing me off. We managed to put up our tree and lights so it would feel like Christmas. I'm starting to sing "Let it snow" in my head now. I might include a tap dance with it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment